Friday, March 18, 2011

Just to write it down

As quite a few people ask me what my plans are after graduating, I thought I'd write them down. (Also, its good to have them down for reference for my future self)

So: In the semester that follows, I will Quit Cybernetica AS and move to uni full-time, where I will hopefully:

a) Give two lecture courses, "Introduction to Informatics" and "Programming 1"

b) Become the Study Councilor of our institute - so help resolve all sorts of organizational problems for the students.

c) Set up an after-hours study session where students can come ask for help about the courses for the first two years of bachelor's studies.

d) Be in charge of training our new teaching assistants.

At the moment, I am just writing up ideas and drafting documents that will hopefully one day become job descriptions for b,c and d. The main goal for the first semester is to finish these documents, i.e. figure out what actually needs doing and how to best go about it. I have enough ideas to start with but it is realistic most of them need to be reconsidered multiple times during the course of actual work.

Nevertheless, I do not want to jump into the matter unprepared and waste considerable effort reinventing the wheel. So I am doing research. For instance, today I met up with one of the graduates from "Noored kooli", who gave me an overview of how they were trained and what got him to where he is as a teacher. I also plan to have a chat with someone from Southwestern on similar topics. And last weeks visit to IT College was also to figure out what makes their system work better than ours. We also have ideas to use machine learning to determine the students most at risk of dropping out, so we could work with them directly as well. So work is ongoing.

Nevertheless, there is a lot of uncertainty there, as it doesn't happen often that you get to write your own job descriptions. Everything in this list is something I look forward to doing. But taken together, they may be biting off a bit more than I could chew, and I have considerable anxiety because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment