Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweet Dreams are made of These

It's fun how plans can change sometimes. For example I had planned yesterday for improving the public materials of our institute... but then I heard from a friend that at the same time, a seminar is taking place that I really wanted to attend.

So naturally, popularization materials had to wait.

Same went for a student, who wanted to meet up with me to discuss some questions. But for him, the wait was just a few extra hours, as I did find time for him in the evening.

Right before meeting a colleague to go singing. Which was... way over my head but also tremendously fun.

Then it was dinnertime... which I combined with showing a friend of mine what to look for when buying a bass guitar.

And then I was off to the library to man the "Mathematics Helpdesk" for the second evening in a row. And there, the two hours just flew by instantly. Good company, bad coffee, what else could a man need for happiness?

My colleague T. then dropped me off to my home again, where I spent an hour on TED and another practicing bass, after which I set off to the bus station, to catch the 2.50 bus to Tallinn, to catch the 7.30 ship to Helsinki.

Which I did, after a scenic walk through the empty morning streets of Tallinn, singing along loudly to whatever was playing from my walkman. Arrived at the port an hour early, but I had a book to keep me company. That was also how I spent most of my two hours on the ship.

In Helsinki, I had an hour to navigate to the center. Not a problem, with a map and all. Another scenic walk through a waking city later, and I was at the bus stop, to catch a bus to the seminar.

Another hour of reading later and we arrived, checked in, had lunch and started listening to talks. Nordic Network in Engineering Education Research or something similar. A networking event, mostly.

And surprisingly to even myself, it is possible to network even after being awake 30 hrs straight. If you asked me how, I'd conjecture coffee has something to do with it.. but not entirely sure...

Hopefully, I can get to bed before I hit 40. 40 hrs, I mean.

Although, this semi-awake state is kind of fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment