Sunday, September 4, 2011

The game is called hot potato. If you're lucky, it is the game you will be playing for the rest of your life

The better you can motivate others to do important things, the less you have to do yourself. Or rather, the more you free yourself up to do other important things. Simple, at least in theory.

Trouble is, it gets a while to get the hang of it.

In any case - it has been a hard week. 7 days straight with 8-12 very intense working hrs, mostly with people.

And, although exhausting, I have enjoyed most of it. Three reasons:
a) Flow - I usually look at the clock only to realize 2-6 hrs have passed without me having time to notice them do so.
b) Anxiety relief - I had a fairly strong anxiety of not being able to cope with all the responsibilities I have newly received. Well, now I have evidence showing I can, and am actually doing fairly well, all things considered. It is natural to fear the unknown future, but once it actually arrives, the fear is often unfounded. This has been the case.
c) I'm actually fairly good at what I do. Or at least I do not think my time would be better spent doing something else. Not at this point in time, at least. After all, I am doing something I like doing, that also seems to be worthwhile in the long run, and also provides immediate gratification on occasion. Hard to ask for something more.

All that being said, it is very exhausting. At home, the only thing I want to do is to just collapse onto the bed and sleep. Thankfully, on most days, I can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment