Tuesday, June 22, 2010

More than words can say

I watched "The Metropolis" today. Its a 1927 movie. You know, from the time before color and even before sound. So it had people gesturing wildly and flash cards to explain what they told each other.

Plenty of moments for spoof dialogue..

The movie was much slower than those that they make today, which was actually kind of nice. The story was fairly naive and predictable, but that was also kind of nice, as it allowed one to concentrate on the visuals. The special effects were quite amazing by the way -- especially considering computers had not even been invented yet.

What also seemed odd to me was that they actually used the word Robot. Although the word has been invented in 1920 (by a polish SciFi writer), it was (to my knowledge) supposedly pretty obscure til it was popularized by Isaac Asimov in the 40-s. Guess I got that wrong, then.

I only wish I could have had someone to hug while watching this. Then again, it could have been worse - I did have two friends to watch it with, both of whom also quite enjoyed the experience :)

As for the thesis, it is slowly coming together. I have most of Chapter 1 written up and I soon get to the hard part where I need to start reading up on things I wrote 2 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment