Sunday, May 23, 2010

A walk in the park

I went for a long walk today. As I have mentioned before, there is quite a nice forest nearby that goes quite a way along the seashore. I tried to see just how far.. but it seemed to be more than 5-6 km, at least.

I finally also found the Deer park, where (unlike in Estonia) they have real deer walking around. It was truly idyllic.. so I sat down and started reading a book... and then suddenly an umpf-umpf-umpf kicked in. I knew there was supposed to be a concenrt at the shore today, but I kind of assumed it would be pop-rock, not dance music. And seriously, that thing could be heared for most of my walk so literally for miles.

Other than the somewhat annoying music, the walk was truly amazing. The nature here is quite nice, especially considering just how close to the city the forest was. The shore is about 50 m lower than the surrounding landscape (with a very steep slope to the beach, but no cliffs), which is also quite a sight to see.

I also had some new insight into the cultural phenomenon of low power distance recently. At friday bar, Rikke told me that most people try to live by a set of informal rules called Janteloven that basically emphasises that everyone is created equal. I would not have thought that anyone actually codified this thing, but that seems to have been the case. Still, this is not an actual law, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, I had a bass string break on me today. Looking at the strings, you would not think them capable of that but it seems it can happen. I recently also got a new strap for my bass and it actually improved my playing because it holds the (very light practice bass that I have) in place so that it does not swivel around as much as before. I have still tried to get about an hour of practice in every day. Playing is improving, but at a fairly slow pace. Same goes for my ears, who, after 4 months of bass playing have slowly started to pick up on basslines in even most genres of metal. It is not too reliable yet, but progress is definitely taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment