Saturday, October 16, 2010

Some fun stuff

I happenned on the Tartu-Tallinn student bus yesterday.. along with one of my students.
Nearly halfway through the journey, one of my students came to me with his laptop, and asked if he could show me he homework assignment for grading... Of course, I agreed.

Today was my grandfathers 85-th birthday. A family gathering again. Had a pretty interesting discussion with my (not-unwealthy) uncle..

For instance, he described a few of the lecturers from his time in the university. He had to pass an examination somewhere during the term.. so when he went to ask when he could do it, the professor said "I have 5 minutes now. When does the judicial bond end?" My uncle, clearly caught off guard, thought a bit and then replied "On death". Professor said "Well, yes, but that is a pretty gloomy way of thinking about it. For instance, if you are riding in public transportation and you get asked for the ticket, do you really have to wait for the controller to die?"

Also, he had a lot to say on the following topic:

Basically, Swedish baks are actually making pretty good profits on the loans that went bad, since they can buy the real estate back, sell it to their daughter firms who then rent the places out and simply wait for the prices to increase again.. while the poor people who lost their homes are still paying back the part of the dept that was not covered by the estate being resold.

Also, a funny incident about one of the famous people in Estonia A. L., who basically got famous by robbing a jewelry store in Finland and being in jail there for a while for the crime.
Well, one night, this guy is walking in the old town of Tallinn, at a slow pace, whistling.
Thing is, a jewelry store had just robbed about 300 meters where he was walking. A friend of my uncle had just passed the robbed jewelry store and now informed A. of that fact and, as my uncle quoted "he had never seen a man run as fast in suede leather shoes".

No comments:

Post a Comment