Thursday, October 14, 2010

A week

Today was.. well, unusual, even by the standards of my fairly chaotic life.

It started with me waking up at 9, and reseting the clock to 9.30. Then getting up at 9.30, packing up my bass and my notebook and riding a bike to the Vanemuise lecture hall (1.5 km). I then spent most of the lecture working on a small mathematical problem that I had encountered the day before and which urgently needed resolution. And I got it done.

I then took to my bike again and rode to Annelinn (4 km) in search of the 2. childrens music school where my Bass teacher works. It took me 15 minutes to get there, and then about half an hour of riding around there (~1km) to actually find the building (my bass teacher and I had some communication issues - basically, the landmarks I knew, he did not, and vice versa). I had my last bass lesson. He corrected a few thing, but said that I was making pretty good progress...

Back to town again (4.5 km), this time to attend the institute meeting and to answer some e-mails in parallel. The university is doing something pretty idiotic as it turns out - from next year, it will not allow students beyond what the government orders, and faculties have to pay back the money they received for each student that drops out. This may make sense in humanities, but not in natural or mathematical sciences, where 1/3 dropout rate is normal, even in top universities.

Anwyays, back to the point. After that meeting ended, I had to attend a meeting of my research group. The project leader is a pretty cool guy, so that may well have been the high point of my day.

Once that was finished, I had about an hour for actual work. Which I utilized pretty well, managing to write down the solution I had come up with in the morning, leaving the paper in a state where I feel comfortable in putting it on hold for a period of time.

Then to Taiji (2 km). We did form exercises and then about an hours worth of spear/staff training.. And then back to town again (2km), to go watch "The Dissapearing Number" broadcast live in Ekraan. I arrived there, parked my bike and then met up with the co-worker who had suggested the idea in the first place and who had the tickets.. We went in, me still tired from practice and biking.. and bought a packet of popcorn - first food I had had for the entire day.

The production was good. Really good. Best theater I have seen to date, I think... funny, emotional, thought provoking... everything theater should be.

Then got home (1km) and took a nice bath.

So: to sum up:
All day running around
2 hours of actual work
15.5 km of biking and a 2 hour Taiji practice.
1 packet of popcorn to eat for the whole day

A week has passed since me and L. broke up. Still don't regret the decision, but...

I hate being single.

Then again, I better get used to it. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment