Monday, April 5, 2010

Denmark - Day 1

Aarhus airport is a very nice small town airport probably quite similar to that of Tartu (which I have not used yet). Actually the smallest one I have yet to visit. We walked off the plane and directly into the waiting hall (no buses, no long tunnels). Which was nice. What was not so nice was the fact that just after I had started repacking my bags (so as not to have two very heavy backbacks), they announced that the bus to Aarhus would be departing.. so I just packed up again and dashed out of the airport. The bus was indeed waiting. My first surprise was the ticket, being priced at 95 DKK.

However, my surprise was quickly alleviated when I saw the first roadsign which read "Aarhus 43". Yes - the airport was 43 km away from the city. That gave me a nice view of the surrounding countryside, however. Which was quite nice, but probably quite stereotypical of western Europe as well. At some point the bus driver started calling out stops. I asked him what direction would he be entering the city from.. he pulled over and showed me on the map. It turned out that he will be stopping about half a km from where I needed to go, which was good news to me, as I had already counted on a 3 km walk from town center.

I noticed quite a few things after getting of the bus. To be precise, I noticed 3 joggers and 2 people riding bycicles. The conditions here are very favourable for both, as the car roads have bicycle lanes on both sides and the traffic itself is quite light. The best way I could find of describing this place would be as "the opposite of india" - plenty of space, very clean streets and relatively few people.

The University Guesthouse I am staying at for the first night is also incredibly nice. Small on the outside, very spacious on the inside. The guesthouse resembles a set of apartments more than it does a hotel, having a large living room with a kitchen corner for every three guest rooms.

The first order of business was getting something to eat - there were no meals on the planes and I had last eaten quite early in the morning. I remembered I had walked past a small store (REMA 1000 - logo quite resembling that "Rimi" used to have at some point). I bought pasta, garlic salt, ketchup and some cookies - costing 64 DKK. Prices here are pretty similar to those in Estonia, at least by the numbers on the price tags. However, one Danish Kroon is a bit over two Estonian kroons. Anyways, its still pretty convenient :P However, it would be nice to know how much money I will be getting from the university here..

Anways, I am just now finishing my pasta and will go out for a walk soon after. I will probably post some pictures later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment