Thursday, April 8, 2010

Denmark - Day 3

I woke at 7.30 and went to make myself some coffe, then returned to my room to unpack my belongings (something I didn't feel like doing the night before) and then set off towards the university. On my way to the staircase I met an indian guy who was also about to leave. Of course, I introduced myself to him and asked what he was doing and where he was from. I then mentioned I had been to india just a month ago and that I had stayed in Hyderabad. Well, it turned out that that was exactly where he was from :) We walked all the way to the bus station, but then parted ways as I had decided to walk to the university.

It was a nice 40 minute walk, which meant I arrived at prof. Damgards door at exactly 10, just like I had promised ("I love it when a plan comes together"). He took me down but as the administrative staff had just left, I had to wait for a while to get the keys. I did, however, get to see my new room. His assistant professor had not arrived yet, but he told me to wait til he did and then ask him for advice about the topics.

Most of the day was actually spent on administrative stuff - filling out a form, getting the keys, getting a new sim-card, figuring out where I might be able to get a bike, asking Ivan about where the music stores are in the city, getting lunch and so on. I did have time to read about 30 pages of introduction to rational crypto and also thought a bit about a problem prof. Damgard presented to me about pseudorandom secret sharing.

I left at a quarter past four to check out the music stores in the central Aarhus. There were 3 of them, but sadly none had a small enough bass amplifier. I spent about 15 minutes in the last one though, just trying out one which was nice but still a bit too large. I then walked home, finding one more store, but just as it was closing so I did not have time to look around. I also stopped by a shop to buy a few things I was still missing. I now literally have enough food to last me two weeks easy.

I came home and started cooking dinner. This time it was pasta and I met another set of my neighbours, this time two people form turkey, two from germany, one from italy and one from South Africa. There really are all sorts of people here - from phonetics post-docs to political science bachelors students to everything else in between.

I will spend this evening as I spent it yesterday - playing my bass, reading, perhaps watching a movie. The first few days in a new place can be quite overwhelming so I do not really feel like socializing or doing anything else remotely demanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment