Wednesday, February 17, 2010

India - day 2

Woke up at around 9, having slept nearly 11 hrs and feeling quite rested. Had breakfast, which consisted of toast with jam and a cup of tea (with milk, as is the english tradition). Then went to the town to buy books and to look around. There were two problems with the bookstore. Firstly, it was closed. Secondly, I had previously lent all my money to Tom so he could have one of her assistants buy books for the school. However, I found a really nice small second-hand book store nearby and since I did have a few small bills, I did pick up a few books nonetheless. I then had a nice walk around town, having my first experiences of crossing the roads here.

Came back and then went out again, this time with Tom and to the nearest ATM so he could withdraw money. Had an interesting discussion on the way. For instance, it turns out that Tom and I share yet another common trait - being unable to count money - with certain limitations in both cases, of course. He also told me that he had worked 10 years fixing jukeboxes when he applied to IBM - where the person who hired him went out on a limb but did not have to regret his decision.

When we got back, Tom had to get back to work but I decided to go out walking again, this time to find a music store. Of course, I managed to misinterpret the directions given me and went to the wrong place, but since I ended up in the vicinity of the book store and now had both money and time, so decided to look around in the store for a bit longer than I did previously. I then walked back, this time through a different route, one involving many back roads, a few dead ends and crossing a 6 lane main street.

One thing I have to mention - during the whole of today, I have seen only 2 westerners on the street besides the people I am living with. Everyone on the street has black hair and a very strong tan (i.e. distinctly middle eastern, so the vast majority are probably indian and the few foreigners come from nearby countries). Most everyone seems to speak Telugu as the first language and the general level of english comprehension seems poor. Another thing worth mentioning is that I feel safe here, even in the back alleyways where I would not dare go in Estonia. The fact that the tallest man I have met here comes to my shoulder length might partially explain this, but people really do seem friendly here. Of course, to them, I am quite a sight for them - white, tall and with light brown dreads.. one passer-by actually wanted to take a picture with me :P

I will start working this evening - first order of buisness is to reinstall windows on two of the laptops here at Toms apartment.

Tom keeps on repeating India will change me. I think he is right, but in what way, remains to be determined. Some thoughts still haunt me... but it is much easier to get my mind off of them in here than it would be back in Tartu.

No comments:

Post a Comment